Easy At-Home Workout With No Weights (Men & Women)
During these uncertain times, your body needs the immune-boosting abilities of a workout more than ever. Plus, most people now work from home so it's much easier to sneak in some exercise in between Zoom calls.
Here’s a total body workout plan for both men and women that doesn't require any weights. All you need is yourself and at least a half-hour of your time - let’s get moving!
Doing the same workout routine can be a bit monotonous. So, we’re going to give you a few suggestions to work on each body part. Mix and match these options until you find the perfect workout plan that meets your needs.
Warmup - (½ Stretching, ½ Cardio - 10 Minutes)
The warmup is the only part of the workout that is timed. The rest is rather fluid, depending on your speed and preferences. For your warmup, loosen up with some stretches, and then get your heart pumping.
We’re doing a total body workout, so try to target the whole body:
- Neck Circles
- Shoulder Rolls
- Quad Stretch
- Butterfly Stretch
- Touch Touch
- Side Reach
Next is five minutes of cardio. Pick anything that will get your heart going like jumping rope, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, or running in place.
Legs and Glutes
Now that your heart is pumping, let’s get everyone’s least favorite body part to workout out of the way. Here are some exercises that will give you a good foundation for the rest of your workout. Break up the reps by trying other exercises that focus on other body parts in between.
Quads - Choose 2:
- Squats - 3 sets of 20
- Wall Sit - 3 sets of 1 minute
- Lunges - 3 sets of 10, each leg
- Side Lunges, 2 sets of 10, each leg
- Reverse Lunges, 2 sets of 10, each leg
Want to add a bit more heat? Hold your squats a little longer. Add some pulses to your lunges. There are always little things you can do to increase your benefits.
Hamstrings - Choose 2:
- Glute Bridge - 10 times, hold for 30 seconds each
- Donkey Kicks - 20, each leg
- Reverse Plank - 3 sets, hold for 30 seconds
- High Knees - 3 sets of 30 seconds
- Hamstring Curl Stretch - 3 sets, 30 seconds
Up the intensity of a glute bridge by lifting one leg up in the air each time. In a reverse plank, try tapping one foot to the side and bring it back. During the hamstring stretch, use a resistance band, yoga strap, or a belt to get in deeper.
Arms and Shoulders
With legs out of the way, we can now focus on the fun stuff. All of these exercises can be performed without equipment, as your body weight will serve as the iron. So, let’s get pumping.
Biceps - Choose 2:
- Plank Walk - 10 times, forward and back
- Push-Ups - 3 sets of 10
- Burpee with Push-up - 3 sets of 10
- Bicep Curls with Resistance Band or Belt - 3 sets of 10, each arm
To do bicep curls without a weight, kneel on the ground. Place the band or belt under your knee and pull up until you have tension. Pull as close to your face as you can and release to do a bicep curl.
Triceps - Choose 2:
- Plank - 3 sets for 30-60 seconds
- Table Dips - 3 sets of 20
- Plank Shoulder Taps - 3 sets of 10, each side
- Narrow Incline Push-up - 3 sets of 10
- Reverse Plank Dips - 3 sets of 10
For the narrow incline push-up, you just want to bring the floor closer to you. Stack old phone books, grab a full storage bin or use the ottoman.
Shoulders - Choose 1:
- Plank to Downward Dog - 3 sets of 10
- Diamond Push-up - 3 sets of 10
- Crab Walk - 3 sets for 30 seconds
Spending a lot of time lying on your back during quarantine? Time to get up and get your back into shape. Here are some great exercises you can put your back into!
Back - Choose 2:
- Superman - 3 sets for 30 seconds
- Quadruped Limb Raises - 3 sets of 10, each side
- Wide-Grip Push-ups - 3 sets of 10
- T Push-ups - 3 sets of 10, each side
- Dolphin Kicks - 3 sets of 10
- Marching Bridge - 3 sets of 10, each side
Receive more of a core workout doing the Superman by lifting up your legs too. Move your limbs about as if you were swimming. Get a nice stretch on the spine by slightly tucking your chin.
Many exercises you perform in other areas will also work out the chest. Your chest muscles will get stimulation from various push-ups, bridges, and planks. So, give your chest a little extra TLC with one of these workouts.
Chest - Choose 1:
- Chest Flies - 2 sets of 20 or 50
- Slow-Motion Push-ups - 2 sets of 10
- Elevated Push-ups - 2 sets of 10
Make the most of chest flies by holding something heavy in your hands. If you do have weights, definitely incorporate them. Get your heart moving by sidestepping back and forth as you do the chest flies too.
When this pandemic ends, we’re going to have a lot of lost time to make up for. Right now is the perfect time to get your summer body in shape. Here’s how.
Core/Abs - Pick 3:
- Sit-Ups - 4 sets of 25
- Plank Dips - 3 sets of 10, each side
- Plank Knee to Nose Crunch, 3 sets of 10, each side
- Side Plank - 2 sets of 30 seconds, each side
- Boat Pose - 2 sets of 30 seconds, each side
- Leg Lifts - 3 sets of 20
Switch up the knee to nose crunch by tapping your knees to your elbows and wrists. Control your movements and progress slowly. Your body will experience an amazing tremble that is sure to burn off some calories.
These exercises should help you build strength while burning fat but before you make any changes to your wellness routine, please consult a doctor. Also, if you are feeling dizzy at any point, please stop the workout. Stay healthy and safe!
Leave a comment